Thursday, September 6, 2012

GLUE Decks - Journey between the Decks

In my last post i have finally come to an explanation of the GLUE Journeys I like myself, which is a circulatory system with the GLUE Space as the structure giving element. I shortly touched on the flows:
  • The GLUE Disciplines is a circle, where Detect feeds back into Describe
  • The GLUE Decks are constructed based on the elements from a lower level
  • The GLUE Divisions reflect the diffusion of To-Be into As-Is



I received a comment via email which I will try to answer:

What is not so clearly explained is the back-and-upwards link from level n, discipline m, to level n+1, discipline m-1
 
The flow of information between two decks has two connection points:
  • Each requirement from Define will be assigned by Design to an element of the lower Deck (or can be handled in the very same Deck as explained in GLUE Disciplines).
  • After Development of the solution Do is needed to use the solution on the upper Deck.

To give an example I use the example from "always remember the next larger context":


By just looking at the two lower levels
  • If you want to furnish your living room you will place the elements you want to put into your living room on the right place (maybe you even have a plan for that). It can also be the case that you want to buy new elements (e.g. a table and chairs).
  • Room Describe: I want this room to be a living room
  • Room Define: It must contain a chair (I fear that is more an one chair exibition approach than a real living room, but I stick to the example)
  • Room Design: The chair shall be placed in the middle of the east side of the room.
  • Room Develop (start): Find the chair
    • Chair Describe: I want a chair
    • Chair Define: (Put your favourite chair requirements here)
    • Chair Design: (Put your favourite chair design here)
    • Chair Develop: Reuse/Buy/Build the Chair
    • Chair Do: Use the Chair
  • Room Develop (continue): Place the Chair on the east side of the room.
  • Room Detect: Check if everything is done as requested
This is of course an artificial example, but I hope it explains it better why a lower level "Do" leads to an upper level "Develop". You can not finalize a development on the upper level if you do not start to use the elements. I have the same reasoning behind putting Detect after Do, because it is not possible to test something, before you start using it.

(So Plan->Build->Test->Run is a myth, which i will discuss in another post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment